HISTORY OF SMITH & TOWN PRINTERS
Printing at 42 Main St. goes back to the early 1900s, when the owners John Smith and Harry Poley moved theirbusiness from 74 Main St. to 42 Main St. in Berlin. The business was known as The Franklin Printery. TheFranklin Printery prided itself on being able to turn out at the shortest notice the product of its skill from the smallest card to the large posters and using the highest grade of stock to the greatest value for the least money. In 1929 Harry Poley struck out on his own and John J. Smith went into partnership with Ernest Town who was a printer for The FranklinPrintery. They continued in business providing printing services until 1956 when John Vezina, a linotype operator at Smith & Town Printers purchased the firm andoperated same until 1976. There were many changes made from hot type to cold type leaving the linotype letterpress era and moving forward into offset printing with typewriters, cameras and then computers.
In 1976 Roger Godbout, a darkroom technician, working for John Vezina and Mona Landers, then bookkeeper, for Smith & Town Printers became partners purchasing the firm from John Vezina. Both partners worked several years until Mona sold her partnership to Roger and his wife, Rachel. They then became sole proprietors. Smith & Town Printers underwent many physical changes as well as updates to its equipment with addition of presses, cameras and computers. Roger and Rachel worked to provide their customers with professional, prompt service. In 1999 Roger died tragically in a helicopter crash, leaving Rachel and sons Michael and Matthew with the charge of operating the business. The trio, along with their seasoned staff, continue to maintain customer service as well as provide professional graphic design and prompt printing and copy services.